The Treasurer has a watchdog role over all aspects of financial management, working closely with other members of the Management Committee to safeguard the organisation’s finances.
What is a Trustee?
Trustees provide an essential and legal requirement for all charitable organisations. Trustees are recruited to take overall responsibility for the organisation, ensuring that the charity delivers its charitable aims and works within both recommended and legal guidelines.
There are a number of responsibilities involved in becoming a Trustee and as such you are advised to read the publications available from the Charity Commission.
The Board of Trustees is made up of professional persons, proprietors, senior managers, and directors. The team is lead by the Chair and supported by the Treasurer and Secretary. Non-Executive Directors also hold Trustee positions within the board.
All Board of Trustees and Management Committee are volunteers and dedicate a lot of time throughout the year to ensure the day-to-day management of Oxford Pride. Both the Trustees and Management Committee oversee this activity, but only the Trustees are involved in strategic decision-making.
What will I be doing?
- Managing, forecasting and budgeting of Oxford Pride Group accounts.
- Forecasting the costs of the Festival events and Parade Day, and associated fundraising events (in liaison with relevant Officers).
- Issuing invoices and receipts for any income received.
- Issuing purchase orders for expenditure, to be matched to invoices.
- Providing a basic financial summary at all General Meetings, and a detailed financial report at the Annual General Meeting.
- Providing up-to-date accounts to any Member of the Group on request.
- Ensuring all monies are banked and recorded appropriately, in line with both Charity and Company Law.
- Preparing Annual Returns and Accounts (in liaison with external accountants).
- Overseeing the financial regulations and contracts in line with Company Law, Charity Law, and the Policies of the charity (In liaison with the Chair and Secretary).
- Managing any grants or funding schemes Oxford Pride Group may make available or agree to, from time to time.
- Must attend all Board of Trustee Meetings (excluding in the case of illness or other exceptional circumstances).
- Must assist the Chair in overseeing all activities of the Group, and step in as Acting Chair if for any reason the current Chair is unable to fulfil their duties.
- Be available throughout the annual Parade Day to answer any queries and to be in charge of any donations taken on the day (excluding in the case of illness or other exceptional circumstances).
- Previous knowledge or experience of accountancy, knowledge of financial rules & regulations, ability to work to deadlines. Knowledge of both Company and Charity Law preferred but not essential.
What do I need?
How do I apply for the role?
If you are interested in applying as a Director/Trustee, get in touch to discuss your ideas and experience for this role – we’d love to hear from you and meet you too! You’ll need to be over 18 and a current member of Oxford Pride. Please complete our membership form. To apply, please complete the application form and send your CV and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.